A time for Celebrating and Remembering
On Sunday 26th September eight Sisters – Bernadette, Kathleen Mary, Goretti, Margarita, Angela, Maureen and Kathleen – met in Alma Square to celebrate Our Lady of Mercy and the Foundation of St Edward’s Convent, Marylebone. They were joined by Breda, from Addo SA, and were joined later by Brigid. It was also an opportunity to celebrate 170 years since the Foundation of St Edward’s Convent, Marylebone on 16th June 1851. We had reason to celebrate 527 years of Mercy Presence and Ministry of the group in this part of London. We remembered the Sisters who founded the Convent at the request of the two brother Priests, Fathers J and E Hearn and the many Sisters who had generously given their years of ministry in the area. The then Parish Priest of Our Lady’s Church, St John’s Wood – Father James O’Neal welcomed and wholly supported the Foundation. He even purchased the first grave for the Sisters in Kensal Green.
If Catherine was around she would be singing:”Hurrah for Foundations”.